What is Adopt-A-Class?
Every school year, members of the Northampton County Medical Society Alliance volunteer their time to make monthly visits to a Northampton County Head Start class in order to teach them about health and nutrition. Our Alliance volunteers visit the same classroom for the entire school (in fact, we have been working with the same teacher, Miss Norma, for over 20 years!) and once a month present something new and educational for the children.
What do the Students Learn About?
- October's lesson is "Hands are not for hitting"
- November is healthy eating month
- Pennsylvania Youth Theater visits the classroom in December
- We start the year off in January with keeping the body healthy
- February is healthy heart month and we are joined by a cardiologist
- We present the five senses in March
Partnership with Pennsylvania Youth Theatre
In recent years, we have partnered with Pennsylvania Youth Theatre (PYT) to also bring our Head Starters a fun and educational theatre/literature program in which they use their imaginations and bodies to recreate a selected story as well as create related craft projects.